Horizon Science Academy Toledo (hereinafter referred as “HSAT”) is a community (charter) school, which is funded by public sources. HSAT is operated under a charter granted by the Educational Service Center of Lake Erie West.
HSAT is managed by Concept Schools, NFP. Concept Schools is a not-for-profit charter management organization that manages high quality charters in the Midwest. All Concept managed schools implement the school design created by Concept in 1999.
HSAT has a Board of Directors that is independent of Concept Schools. Board of Directors of HSAT is the charter holder and has the ultimate responsibility and accountability to our sponsor/authorizer. The Board governs and oversees all operations of HSAT. Board of Directors of HSAT is comprised of individuals with diverse backgrounds and expertise, who are committed to improve high quality public education choices in our community.
The purpose of Horizon Science Academy Toledo is to fully prepare students to carry the torch of knowledge, freedom, and prosperity which is passed from generation to generation in this great country.
HSAT is a structured school, with 300 students attending at full enrollment in grades 9 – 12. HSAT delivers a rigorous, innovative educational program, integrating the following themes:
- Curricula: The core curriculum provides students with a rigorous program of studies in the areas of mathematics, science, social studies, and language arts. The school maintains high expectations of its students while the administration develops and monitors individual plans for them.
- Attitudes: HSAT promotes productive attitudes toward school, work, self and community. HSAT encourages willingness to sacrifice for the common good of others, as well as for personal fulfillment. HSAT harbors deep respect for family, school and community while encouraging its students to appreciate and grasp the opportunities that life offers.
- Individual attention: Each individual student at HSAT is important and his or her abilities are a focal point at all times. Each student at HSAT is regarded as a unique asset and a vital member of the school community;
- Participation: Community service is embedded through the curriculum to perpetuate constructive participation by students, parents and staff in the life of the school and the community that surrounds them. HSAT’s students carry the school experience into the real world through higher education, family, employment, and civic affairs.
- Reform and accountability: At HSAT, education reform is the initiating and guiding principle. With excellence as a standard, the school must achieve to remain in existence. Accountability is clear. Just as business must adapt itself to new technologies, new demands from its consumers, and the never-ending invention of new products, education must also show constant progress in order to flourish.
Priorities and policy discussions focus on the students. Teachers lead in every sector. Parents and students will be expected to volunteer their time, and participate from the beginning in programs and policy development, including a dress code, code of conduct, cultivation of a healthy and respectful atmosphere in the school, and selection of exploration programs. Students and staff participate in regular HSAT Town Meetings and assemblies as a crucial component in the development of school government. HSAT is committed to modeling new ways of returning tax and private dollars to the classroom keeping overhead costs at a minimal level so that at least three-fourth of total expenditures be at the classroom level. HSAT addresses social issues such as drugs, violence, and health at an age appropriate level, through the prism of community service learning techniques. In accordance with its staff, the Board of Directors establishes the hiring and employment practices of the school. To correlate to their professional colleagues in the business community, teachers receive performance-based pay, as well as professionally designed training and development programs that draw on the most advanced practices
The Horizon Science Academy is directly accountable to the people of Toledo just as in any business.